Tuesday, August 18, 2015

What I Did On My Year-Long Vacation

Well, it’s been…let’s see…over eight months since I last posted! And yeah, I will admit that the break felt good—really good. Not only did I take a break from blogging and nearly all social networking, but I also took an even longer break from writing. I might have been suffering from a bit of burnout, but I think that mostly I wanted to revisit my life the way it was before I took up the crazy notion of publishing my work! Yeah, I actually had a life and it was still intact just waiting for me to slow down, to clear my mind, and to refocus. What do I have to show for it? Well, at least a few pictures… 

Beginning with last autumn...
...we visited New Hampshire...

...did you know they have drug-free cows?...

...we started roasting our own coffee beansyeah, that's a modified popcorn popper!...

...I mooshed my kitties a lot...

...I watched as Todd split a lot of wood...

...we made lots of pear wine (not as good as our last batches)...

...I painted a bit...

...I sewed a bunch of dolly outfits for my granddaughter's American Girl Doll...don't make me rant about how ridiculous those dolls are...

...I tried on goofy hats at the flea market...

...made and ate far too much bread, and didn't spare the brie!...

...visited my beautiful sister and her husband in Virginia...

...enjoyed an 'ice storm' while with friends in the beautiful Virginia countryside...

...came home and survived the rest of our winter in Michigan, and waited until May... 

 ...when we went to the Chesapeake Bay to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary...

...we watched sunsets...

...and sailed...

...ate raw oysters! Yum!!...

...saw scary sea creatures...

...and gooey ones...

...and ugly ones...

...and more sunsets...

...and hung out on the beach and did nothing at all...

...and sat around some more...

...and played with crab pots...

...and sailed some more...


...watched our last sunset...

 
...and then, a month or so later, we headed to New England and camped with my lovely daughter and her family in Maine...

...and saw more cool jellyfishes...

 ...and visited the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse...

...and took pictures that made me want to write...

 ...and made me want to paint...

...then we backtracked to New Hampshire and kayaked while visiting my brother and his amazing family...

...and ate clams on the halfshell...

...and later on, played on the river with grandbabies...

...and now we are home and I'm writing again. I've had an idea for a third book in my Portraits series, and it has turned into a plot. I'm in the very early stages and can't make any promises, and I won't set any deadlines, but I am making progress and enjoying it.

So, there you have it! I may even post again before the year is out! 

10 comments:

  1. such a list of goodnesses...and amazement...lovely pics and story. I love the window pic. I have one in my office (window pic) now do some posting so everyone can enjoy your work. OC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my abridged version of my year! I won't guarantee that I'll be posting regularly, but I'll probably bounce in and out a little more frequently. I hope all is well with you! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello Vance! What a treat to see you over here! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Looked like you had an awesome time. :) Loved the slideshow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Craig! Taking a break was really good for me. Just the other day I was wondering how you are and how your writing is going. Hopefully you're having a great, if not productive summer! So glad you dropped in! :)

      Delete
  4. Loved it...I could picture you enjoying. But did you really ate raw oyster? And I loved that cool jelly fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shalet Jimmy,
      Yeah, I sure did eat a raw oyster, actually lots of them! And clams too. I was raised eating that stuff, but I can understand how it it queasy making for lots of people. I do NOT eat jellyfishes, though! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back Bridget! Loved your pictures. Don't stay away so long next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza! I probably won't stay away as long--the break did me good, but I will definitely be pacing myself. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete